Thursday 3 March 2011

Thinspiration starts at a (depressingly) young age...

Whilst babysitting my 8 year old niece today and having the Disney Channel on in the background, i noticed that not one girl was what i'd consider 'bigger than average' or even really average for that matter. I'd like to think my neice is oblivious to this but if she is, how much longer will she continue to be? I think it's so sad and somewhat discusting that skinny is considered normal nowadays. I can't think of one highly successful actress who is a larger girl/woman, except (on a smaller scale) 'Torres' from Grey's Anatomy who must feel so self concious compared to every other thin actress on set, even though she is equally as beautiful. Anyway, i could rant all night about how this skinny-obsession annoys me (!) but back to the point..... Here are some of the Disney actresses.


This one disturbs me abit because she looks about 10 and to me, that attitude, amount of make-up and particular outfit is too 'grown up' for my liking. Maybe i'm just too old-fashioned but i do worry about what it's doing to young girls who look upto Hannah Montana...





I realise it sounds like i'm moaning about anyone who's thin, i'm not coming across very well because it's such a big issue to me. I don't really blame the skinny models/actresses/celebrities, i think it's the 'people at the top'. The bosses who only hire 'pretty' actresses, the designers who want the size zero models, it's a viscious circle and i think people end up conforming just because it's expected of them. If i think of what i feel like, wanting to change the way i look, then imagine that pressure when you're famous or in some competative industry, there's no escaping it. It's just so sad to see it having got this far. I dread to think the pressures my daughters are going to feel....

No comments:

Post a Comment