Wednesday 23 March 2011

London Print Club

I had an illusion about what screenprints typically looked like - think black and white, fine detail - and seeing the variety of prints on the wall here seriously changed that perception for me and made me more open to experimenting with screenprints. (So far, i'm not a fan of the printing process at all, hopefully now that will change...)
I don't know why but i'd never thought of screenprints being like this, with bold shapes, a sense of innocence and so simplistic. It relates well to our children's book project and i was really drawn to the simplified shapes and repetition.

This piece, done in the style of cross-stitch has a feeling of nostalgia but the content actually relates to the changing of technology over the last 27 years. I like the juxtaposition of ideas and it's reminded me that you don't have to use something obvious to represent an idea, it's good to 'mix things up'!



I took a photo of this because i was drawn to how the drip has been continued down, off the image and onto the wall. It's made me think about how forming a relationship between your work and the wall it's presented on can be achieved so simply. This extended drip is really effective and adds that little extra interest to the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment